Transfer Students

Page Top Image: 

Ensuring that courses from other institutions can be applied toward a UA degree is one of the greatest concerns of transfer students. The UA provides multiple resources to assist both students who are transferring from other institutions and current students who wish to take classes at other schools as they make their course selections. is a statewide collaborative project to help students navigate their higher education options in the State of Arizona. Information and resources on represent each of Arizona's public and tribal community colleges and university. Students can find which  transferable courses can be applied to different majors. This site should be used in consultation with a UA academic advisor.

Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC)

All Arizona community colleges allow students to complete an AGEC, which is a cluster of courses that is guaranteed to fulfill the general education requirements at any of the three public Arizona universities. Prospective transfer students should speak with a UA academic advisor prior to completing an AGEC in order to ensure that this is the best pathway for their intended major. Students attending Pima Community College (PCC) may refer to a guide outlining PCC courses that fulfill UA Tier I and Tier II general education requirements.

Evaluation of Science and Math Course Work (out-of-state)

A list of key UA contacts for evaluating out-of-state transfer credit for math and science courses.  Refer to the Policy on Acceptability of Undergraduate Transfer Credit and the Transfer Credit Appeal Form for further information.

Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)

The California public community colleges and state universities have agreed upon a common structure for a general education core curriculum. This common structure is called the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State General Education Pattern (CSUGE).


All transfer students must complete an enrollment requirement that is specific to their college prior to course registration. This may include meeting one-on-one with an advisor or attending an orientation program. Information for each college’s transfer student requirements is available in the Next Steps Center within the Transfer Student Academic Preview (TSAP)..

PCC to UA Pathways

Students planning to transfer to the University of Arizona can see a prescribed semester sequence of courses to take at Pima, how the Pima courses transfer to the University of Arizona, and even earn an Associate’s Degree if they follow the suggested curricula.  The pathways also illustrate the remaining courses they will take at the University of Arizona to complete a bachelor’s degree.

Residency Classification

The Residency Classification Office determines students' official state of residency for the purpose of calculating tuition rate, and also provides guidelines for petitioning for change of residency classification.

Transfer Student Center

The Transfer Student Center provides general guidance to students as they pursue transfer to the UA as well as support after they are admitted. Services include assistance with the University application, referrals to university services, and connections to advising and orientation programs.  After being admitted, Transfer Students receive assistance with next steps and getting connected to UA services and activities.

Writing Program Transfer Portfolio

The Transfer Portfolio is a process for eligible transfer students to earn a waiver for English 101 and/or 102—The University of Arizona’s Undergraduate General Education and Foundation Composition Requirement.