The Creative Writing minor is designed (1) to provide students with solid fundamentals in writing, reading, analytical skills, and literary knowledge and (2) to allow them a wide range of choice in concentrations and electives grounded in those fundamentals, all of which can lead to many fruitful occupations.
- Two classes from the following: Introduction to Writing Nonfiction (ENGL 201), Introduction to Poetry Writing (ENGL 209), Introduction to Fiction Writing (ENGL 210).
*Note: Both classes must be successfully completed prior to enrollment in concentration courses below.
- Select a concentration from the following: Nonfiction Writing (ENGL 301 and 401), Fiction Writing (ENGL 304 and 404), Poetry Writing (ENGL 309 and 409).
*Note: ENGL 401, 404, or 409 must be completed during your final semester at the University of Arizona.
- ENGL 280 This class may only be taken upon successful completion of the English composition requirement.
- ENGL 380 This class may only be taken upon successful completion of ENGL 280.
- ENGL Upper-Division Literature Elective (3 units)
*Note: 400 level courses require successful completion of ENGL 380 prior to enrollment.
The number of units required for the Creative Writing minor is 21 units. A minimum of 12 upper-division units are required for the minor, and you must earn at least a 2.00 GPA in the minor in order to graduate. Additionally, you must complete at least 3 units of coursework in residence at the University of Arizona to fulfill minimum GPA requirements.
Completion of an online information session is required to declare the Creative Writing minor and may be found here: https://english.arizona.edu/creative-writing-minor. You may schedule an appointment with an advisor after the information session is complete and all necessary paperwork is turned into our office.
Creative Writing does not permit double use of courses in this minor with any other major or second minor.